In this video:
- Dr. Jason Nagata shares why it’s important to understand that boys struggle with body image just like girls, though sometimes it looks different.
- Dr. Nagata shares several red flags to look for in boys who might be struggling with body image. You can learn more signs to look for here.
- Based on Dr. Nagata’s advice, here’s some additional tips you can implement right away if you, like Mike, want to know what to say to strengthen the body image of a young man in your life:
- Avoid commenting on his size or muscle mass. Be mindful you should also avoid commenting on the bodies of other young men or even the men you see on TV.
- Compliment him on his skills on the field that do not relate to his size. (ex: “Great footwork! You didn’t let that offender get by you.”).
- Encourage your son’s coach to partner with you in this effort by taking the What to Say Coaches Challenge – our email series with helpful tips and phrases for strengthening the body image of young athletes.